M is for Myg

Live your god damned dream

Beauty is not skin deep

Posted by myg

Some say the learning curve may just be too steep for Second Life to become a truly widespread platform like some of those other virtual worlds. It takes newcomers too long to learn how to move, where to go for fun, how to get laid. In a time when people fantasize about violent acts when waiting for red lights on the highway (well, at least I do) is it little wonder that we lose a lot of potential avies before the hook firmly sets?

There is one thing, however, that Linden Lab could do that would help newcomers retain interest in our world here. They could stop making us look like this upon arrival:

Newbile 1-07_002.png

I mean, Jesus. Who in god’s name thought that brown diarrhea hair with fangs would be an acceptable representation of human hair?

The truth is, a lot of people get sold on the Second Life experience purely for social reasons at first. In this case our avatars become this opportunity to express our aesthetics, our style, and the things we like, through graphics.

In 2008, is there really any god damned reason that Linden can’t provide better looking basic avatars for folks?

Maybe there are a lot of folks who don’t enjoy dressing their pixel doll nearly as much as I do. But take one look at the fashion industry in Second Life – the biggest industry there is in the platform – and then tell me that people don’t enjoy making their electronic representation of themselves look hawt.

So you’d think that if the fine folk over at teh Linden Lab wanted to make things easier on newcomers, they might let us start out looking a little more like this:

Myg Morrisey!

That’s Myg Morrisey, aka me, wearing all free stuff.

I now hereby make a plea to Linden Lab to solicit (and PAY) some of SL’s top designers to create skin and hair for the basic birth avatars so that new comers may be a little more excited about the possibility of logging in repeatedly.

But, until Linden can figure out that they should give the basic avatars skin that doesn’t make you retch and hair that isn’t less attractive than a rorshach blot, we here at M is for Myg want to help the new folk out.

So if you’re new and broke, you can pick these things up for free (or maybe 1L I think for the hair)

I’m wearing one of the great free skins from another shop (Le, brow1, freckles, wrath). Head over to

Another Shop: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Lippert/75/183/179 for yours (Sorry guys, I’m not sure if there’s a male skin there or not…)

I am sporting a free hair from Candy House: Uemechi, Uemechi: http://slurl.com/secondlife/uemachi/62/175/30

and free eyes from MM Skins. MM Skins is also giving away kick ass skin for males and females if you join the group. Search MM SKIN and join. Then look under the notices tab for notices with boxes next to them on 12/19 and 12/23. Unpack and enjoy.

Oh there’s loads more free stuff where this came from. More on that next time!

Be Sociable, Share!

12 Comments so far

1. October Hush January 8th, 2008 4:33 pm

Hell yeah!

By the way, a great resource for nice freebies is this blog, Fabulously Free in SL:

2. Alicia Chenaux January 8th, 2008 7:07 pm

I second the Fab Free blog. My project in SL is to live on $5L a day and that blog has been an insane amount of help. Also http://slfreestyle.blogspot.com is really great too.

When I signed up for SL, I signed up via the CSI site, and so I showed up with a skin and prim hair and cool boots and stuff. If it was possible for CSI, why not just in general? Everytime I see one of those crazy noob looking people, I want to take them on a makeover tour like mad.

3. myg January 8th, 2008 9:39 pm

Yes I was planning to feature both those blogs in another post!

Also eds. note – I made the shape myself because I like to make shapes. Still free!

4. Saffia Widdershins January 8th, 2008 9:49 pm

I’m very much behind this.

And another thing – I persuaded a black friend of mine to sign up. He was not amused to be presented with a choice of a range of white avatars … or a furry. Another black friend joined, but got bored and left before he made the discovery that he could actually find a skin tone that matched his own.

Would it be too much to have an initial representation of people of two or three ethnic types? Or at the very least, skin tones?

5. myg January 9th, 2008 12:56 am

there is a black skin at another store Saffia – have you seen it? There’s a range of skin tones actually – and YES your point is very well taken!

6. Laetizia Coronet January 9th, 2008 3:31 am

All of these ideas are already at the desk of Blue Linden, who (among other things) oversees the Orientation and Help Islands where people are introduced to SL.
    But things move slowly at LL…

7. myg January 9th, 2008 11:09 am

Well that’s a good god damned thing…

8. Casius Masala January 11th, 2008 12:59 pm

Ruth is the “hospital gown” of Second Life. Not only is it unattractive and forced upon you, but it is humiliating.

While a better skin and hair would rock, please don’t leave out a better walk. If no one pulls you aside and explains what an AO is and how it works, you can walk like a duck for months wondering why everyone is calling you a newblet.

9. myg January 11th, 2008 1:36 pm

omg how could I be so silly as to forget the bash the duck walk? thanks for pointing that out!

10. Gala Alva January 12th, 2008 2:19 am

yes ditto that with the CSI site. these ‘noob av’s’ really look hot ( all races, asian as well, which is nowhere to be found on new reg sl signup ). i checked into the makers of the csi skins ( SIN skin, they also have free skins for newcomers ), and torridwear made some of those clothes. the asian av even comes with ‘primlashes’! i am pleading to sl, to give us real feet and hands and nails. after 4 some years, we still have the same no nail policy and i cover my av in boots and gloves so i don’t have to look at the uglyness.
    i have tons of free sites lm’s where people can get free quality stuff ( not the resale crap! ), also a must do is to join ” Fashion Consolidated ” group. you get tons of free stuff from top designers in there or 1L freebies that are 99% of the time are good.
    btw, here is the url to the CSI site – check those av’s out.

kudos myg, really good blog :)

11. » What the world needs now M is for Myg January 17th, 2008 12:08 am

[…] and a lot of us won’t be bothered to stick around for it. (See rant on ugliness as a barrier here.) And of course, stability issues, which certainly piss everyone off, but will drive away those who […]

12. IrishBlood Morrisey February 6th, 2008 8:10 am

Gee, I wish I had actually read this post earlier, as that would have made finding things for my Morrisey alt a lot easier.
    BTW, I surprisingly also ended up with a skin from the same series that you are using here, so we might look a bit like the Morrisey sisters 😉